Skip to content
Scroll to Top
- 1836 - First wagon road from Milwaukee to Madison, going through Jefferson, was surveyed.
- 1837- Talbot Chambers Dousman built a log cabin and made first claim in the Town of Ottawa.
- Parents of Abram G. Hardell settled in Town of Summit on 500 acre farm.
- 1838 - T.C. Dousman built first frame barn in Waukesha County on 400 acre farm known as "Ingleside".
- 1843 - Elisha W. Edgerton received land grant for farm on Hwy I8.
- 1849 - Bark River School District organized.
- 1850 - Siloam Chapel organized.
- 1860: Elisha W. Edgerton receives award for best farm in the state. His 320 acre farm later becomes The Wisconsin Masonic Home.
- 1861 - First Presbyterian. Church of Ottawa organized.
- 1869 - St. Mary's Episcopal Church receives deed to land on corner of Hwy s 18 and 67.
- 1873 - George Washington Van Brunt purchases farm on highway 18, Van Brunt Mansion constructed.
- 1881 - Chicago and Northwestern Railway Co. complete railroad through the area.
- Griffith Thomas built a store and became the first merchant and first postmaster.
- The post office was moved from Utica to Dousman.
- 1882 - First residence in Village of Dousman was built by Frank Martin. Corner of Hwys D & Z.
- A Mr. Steinica built the first hotel, it burned down within two years.
- First Dousman Cornet Band built a Music Hall.
- O.H. Neff and G.A. Groop moved their respective businesses, a blacksmith shop and a wagon shop from Utica to Dousman.
- 1883: The subdivision of "Dousman Station" which would later become the "Village of Dousman" was platted on July 10.
- 1883 - Abram G. Hardell built the elevator and started a lumber yard.
- William Reid built a building which housed a print shop and a dry goods store run by Krueger Bros.
- Herman Claus built and operated a harness shop
- 1886 - G.A. Rogers established the "Dousman Leader".
- 1887 - Union Emmanuel Church was built on land purchased from A.H. Gifford for $50.00.
- St. Bruno's Catholic Church was constructed.
- Griffith Thomas sells store to William Hunter and Henry Weiner.
- 1888 - President Grover Cleveland made a whistle-stop in Dousman.
- 1890 - Residents organized a public school for Dousman.
- Bullfrog Station settlement has 150 residents.
- 1891 - Land purchased from E.L.Gifford to build a school house.
- 1892 - Mundschau brothers, John, Lawrence and Nick take charge of Griffith Thomas store.
- L.G. Bischel opens first tavern in Dousman.
- 1893 - Mary Moody was the first teacher at the Dousman school, earning $1.50 a day.
- 1896 - L. G. Bischel builds hotel
- 1899 - Abram G. Hardell moved to the Village of Dousman.
- 1902 - Dousan Volunteer Fire Department was established. . Nick Mundschau was president and A.C. Longley was Chief.
- Wisconsin Home and Farm School founded. (Lad Lake)
- 1905 - Willard A. Van Brunt estate deeds 319 acre farm to the Wisconsin Consistory. .
- Northwestern Railroad spur, "Tibbey Line", runs to marl plant south of the Village.
- 1906 - Oscar A. Olson organized the Dousman State Bank.
- Wisconsin Consistory deeds Van Brunt property to the Consistory Home Association
- 1907 - Frederich C. Krueger founded the "Weekly Index".
- 1908 - H.M. Bischel takes over tavern & hotel business.
First fish hatchery in the state, located several miles south of the Village. Eagle Line Products Co. developed the Marl beds. , .
- 1916 - Cy and E.F. Bischel partners in tavern and hotel business from their father, H.M. Bischel.
- 1917 - Territory known as Dousman is incorporated as the Village of Dousman.
Nic Mundschau was first president of the Village of Dousman.
- 1918 - Dousman residents baricade the streets and light bonfire in celebration of Armistice Day.
- 1919 - Cy Bischel serves ice cream and banana splits at tavern & hotel during prohibition.
- 1920 - Waukesha County Dairy Show held in Dousman.
Dousman population was 235 residents.
- 1923 - Main Street in Dousman was paved. '
- 1926 - First Staughton fire engine purchased and kept in small firehouse south of Dousman House tavern,
- 1933 - Bischel's Saloon back in tavern business as prohibition is repealed.
- 1934 - Population of Dousman was 270.
- 1940 - F.C. Krueger sells "Weekly Index" & print shop to George Ehrlich. Thus became the Ehrlich Printing Co.
- 1950 - Dousman's population grows to 328.
- 1952 - Ruth Howard purchases Ehrlich Printing Co.
Dousman Community Building burns to the ground.
- 1954 - Community Club holds Auction to raise funds for new Community Building.
- 1955 - First Dousman Derby Days celebration.
Cy Bischel sells tavern business to Tom Stapleton.
- 1958 - Village adopts zoning ordinance for sewer and water service.
- 1960 - S. Jane Abbott acquires printing company.
410 residents in Dousman.
- 1961 - Union Emmanuel changed name to Emmanuel United Church of Christ.
- 1963 - Northwestern Railroad installs coal burning stove in depot office.
- 1965 - Railroad Depot closed. Ellis Altwise serves 4 months short of 25 years as last agent.
- 1974 - Dousman State Bank moves across Main Street.
- 1985 - Dousman Frogs, Land O' Lakes baseball team, defeats Oconomowoc Five O's to win grand championship.
- 1992 - New firehouse constructed on land owned by Bob and Eloise Jeffery